Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope


My commentary contains major spoilers.





Framley Parsonage is the Fourth book in Anthony Trollope’s Chronicles of Barsetshire series. Once again we get an enormously enjoyable and fun, yet aesthetically strong novel. Trollope introduces a host of new main characters.  In this entry, however, we also see the return of lots of old characters from the previous books in both small parts as well as in moderately important supporting rolls.

This novel involves lots of complex, intertwined subplots as well as character interaction. There are two major plot threads. The first involves Mark Robarts, a young clergyman who becomes involved in politics as a way to advance his career and social standing. Roberts falls in with a bad character, Mr. Sowerby, who is a Member of Parliament. The politician takes advantage of Mark’s weakness and nearly ruins the clergyman and his family financially. Fanny Robarts is Mark ‘s wife whose wisdom and strength of character contrasts with Mark’s relative weaknesses.

The second major thread involves Mark’s sister Lucy. Mark’s sibling is wonderfully drawn persona. She lacks many popular but meaningless social graces but is intelligent and emotionally substantive. In a plot device somewhat common for Trollope, Lucy becomes the subject of romantic the interest of Lord Lufton. The young Lufton’s mother, Lady Lufton, opposes the match due to Lucy’s lower social class as well as her personality quirks.

A of the more interesting subplots involves the very unusual courtship between Doctor Thorne and Miss Dunstable. These two very interesting and offbeat characters, initially introduced in earlier books, reappear in this novel.

Once again we are treated to Trollope’s masterful creation of complex characters as well his creative and amusing metafiction. At one point the author actually seems to argue with himself and at another point his narration takes on the aspects of a Greek Chorus.

One might conclude that this work really does not break much new ground as Trollope covers a lot of territory that he has already trodden upon. On the other hand, another way at looking at the issue is to consider that is the author is taking a few situations with enormous literary appeal, and running different characters with different personality types through those situations in order to see how they develop and resolve themselves differently. It is these differences that make it all very interesting and entertaining. I will thus concentrate upon this aspect of Trollope’s work.

Take the relationship between Lucy Roberts and Lord Lufton. In many ways it is similar to the situation that developed between Mary Thorne and Frank Gresham (Two characters that appear in minor roles in this book) in Doctor Thorne. Both relationships involve young men from families belonging to the gentry, whose wealth has declined, and who fall in love with poorer women of slightly lower classes. Both young men have mothers who are opposed to and fight against the marriages. Both include young women, who though they are in love with the their suitors, are prepared to refuse marriage for honorable reasons. One certainly might accuse Trollope of repeating himself. In some ways he is. However, there are variations on the theme that lends one to suspect that the author was just trying to play out certain situations in varying ways.

There are indeed important differences between these predicaments. In Doctor Thorne, Frank’s mother, Lady Arabella, comes close to monstrous. She is overbearing, narcissistic, and hypercritical as well as a bully who dominates all who are around her. She is terribly cruel to Mary and shows herself to be the epitome of a hypocrite when she accepts her prospective Daughter – In – Law only when she finds that Mary is the heir to an enormous fortune.


In Framley Parsonage Lord Lufton’s mother, Lady Lufton is also difficult, somewhat overbearing and is very good at controlling the situation around her. She does not like it when things do not go her way. At first glace one may think that Trollope is really copying himself. However, unlike Lady Arabella, Lady Lufton is complex and shows humanity early on. When she unfairly picks an argument with her good friend Fanny Robarts, the matriarch initially banishes Fanny from her manor in anger. Within an hour however, Lady Lufton is terribly regretful of her treatment of her friend and makes a genuine apology.

Later, Lady Lufton schemes to arraign a marriage between Lord Lufton and the vacuous Griselda Grantly in order to achieve social and economic gain. When her son tells her however, that he could never love Griselda, Lady Lufton shows surprising sensitivity and immediately forgoes her plans.

An example of Lady Lufton’s complexity is illustrated here as she begins to be won over by Lucy’s strength of character,

“But, nevertheless, we may say that as Lady Lufton sate that morning in her own room for two hours without employment, the star of Lucy Robarts was gradually rising in the firmament. After all, love was the food chiefly necessary for the nourishment of Lady Lufton,— the only food absolutely necessary. She was not aware of this herself, nor probably would those who knew her best have so spoken of her. They would have   declared that family pride was her daily pabulum, and she herself would have said so too, calling it, however, by some less offensive name.” 


Eventually, though she has the power to stop the marriage, after enormous introspection, Lady Lofton relents. She recognizes not only the virtues inherent in Lucy’s character, but the value inherent in the happiness of the young people. One reason that I love Trollope so much is that he continually piles on levels intricacy. Even after Lady Lofton’s change of heart, she continues to display a certain degree of overbearingness.

There is also a difference between Mary and Lucy. Mary is outgoing, vivacious, is intelligent and posses a strong and courageous character. Lucy is just as intelligent, strong and moral. But unlike Mary she is quite and introspective. She does not play the social game well. People tend to like her only after they have known her for a time. Thus Trollope throws a different set of people into similar situations, almost as if he is experimenting.


A question for me is it worth to replay of these scenarios? Is this the same old same old with characters that are just a little different? My conclusion is that it is worth it. I find it to be both enjoyable and enlightening that we see similar social situations run through with different players. How often have I read a book and wondered how a different character would have handled the situation. Such an approach over a long series of books tells us a lot about people. Admittedly some readers might become bored with this and find it uncreative. For me however, I find that helps me to become engaged in a deep way with Trollope’s work. I have similar opinions on the works of Philip Roth that I expressed here.


Despite, or because of its repeated themes, this novel is full of the wonderful things that make Trollope such an enlightening but enjoyable writer. As I am known to comment, there is a lot more going on here then I have even mentioned. I will thus be posting at least one more entry on this book. As I am obsessive about reading series in order I will always recommend experiencing the earlier books first. However this novel can be easily be read as standalone. I am really beginning to love Anthony Trollope.




My commentary on the first book in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series, The Warden is here.


My commentary on the second book in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series, Barchester Towers is here.

My commentary on the third book in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series, Doctor Thorne is here.


My commentary on Trollop’s unusual Pont of View is here.

26 comments:

James said...

Another great review of Trollope that encourages me to return to this series. I'm afraid that, unlike you, I read the first two novels in the series and skipped directly to the final Last Chronicle.
Your reviews of those novels I skipped are a not unwelcome reminder that I missed some very good reading from an author that I admire.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi James- Thanks for the good word. That was an interesting sequence of these books to read on your part. I did think that the second, Barchester Towers has been the best so far. I do have a couple more to go!

Unknown said...

Fantastic review as usual, Brian!

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks so much Rachel!

The Bookworm said...

Glad you are still enjoying Trollope's work. From your posts, it seems he writes well developed characters and places them in different situations then takes it from there.
Fantastic post as usual.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Naida - Trollope may actually write the most realistic characters of any other writer that I have read. I must qualify that by saying that there are big gaps in which authors that I have read.

Lindsay said...

Brilliant commentary again Brian, I must read Trollope one day.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Lindsay-Thanks so much.

I would love to read what you think if you read Trollope.

Heidi’sbooks said...

You are on a roll! I'm trying to decide if I should read the spoilers. :) I probably should just go ahead and read the whole review because it will be a while before I get through all the Elizabeth Gaskell novels I'm reading. Anyway, here, here! to great 19th century novels. My Trollope novels are looking at me from the shelf. But, mine is a different series. That settles it...I'm going to read the review in full.

JacquiWine said...

I've never read Trollope, but your reviews leave me thinking I ought to. He would be very high on my list if I were marooned on a desert island as it feels as if this series would be perfect for an extended period of reading time. Great review and commentary, as ever!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Heidi - You made me laugh! I would say that even if you started this series soon, these spoilers probably would not mar your appreciation for the book.

Since Chronicles of Barsetshire series is the only Trollope that I have read. I would love to read your impressions of some other Trollope books.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Jacqui - Thanks for the good word.


Indeed Trollope has a lot of books even in addition to this series. The consensus is that most are worth reading. He was amazingly prolific!

Caroline said...

Wonderful review, Brian. This sounds so appealing. I like it when an author shows similar situations with different players. I'm in the mood for Victorian Literature but I'd already pulled out Agnes Grey. Now I'm tempted to read The Warden. Good to know that this one could also be read as a standalone.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Caroline - Thanks for your kind words.

I have been on a bit of Victorian Literature kick lately. There are so many authors to try. I would almost recommend reading The warden and Barchester Towers back to back as the second book was just so good. If you started this series I would love to know what you think.

Suko said...

Brian Joseph, I have been on a break but am back to blogging now. I enjoyed your commentary (as usual). Trollope sounds like a truly fascinating writer.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Suko - So glad that you are back!

Thanks for the kind word.

Trollope is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

This sounds like a book full of wonderfully diverse characters - something I appreciate just as much as a good story.

JaneGS said...

Much as I want to, I can't read this post--Framley Parsonage is next on my Trollope list and I don't want spoilers...even on classics :)

I'll be back to read your thoughts after I have read it myself. Soon I hope!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Jane - I know that you are reading this series too. I look forward to your commentary on this book.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Tracy - As I mentioned, Trollope may create more realistic and nuanced characters the any other writer that I know.

Violet said...

Trollope was such a prolific writer. My favourite novel is The Way We Live Now, which has SO much stuff to unpack. It's wonderful. I think maybe the Barchester series seems a bit formulaic because the books incorporate quite a few Victiorian domestic novel tropes? I'm thinking that Trollope was writing to make money, so he tried to appeal to a specific group of readers with the romance aspects and the nasty mother-in-law, etc.? I haven't read all of them, but you're making me want to embark on a Trollope project. :)

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Violet - I have not read TgeWay We Live Now but I really want to.

One could definitely look at what I am describing as repeating motifs aimed at a paticular audiance. His characters motes then make up for the repetition for me.

Maria Behar said...

(I deleted the previous post because The Typo Monster reared its ugly head again....)

Your series of posts on the Trollope novels continues to intrigue and fascinate me. Since I happen to be writing this from a Barnes & Noble store at the moment, I might just take a little stroll over to the fiction & literature section to see if I can find the first volume of the Chronicles of Barsetshire series.

Thanks for your terrific commentary, as usual!! : )

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Maria - This is really a great series.

Reading this in a bookstore and then buying the book is truly interactive blog reading!

I would love to know what you thin k about The Warden if you read it.

Maria Behar said...

Well, I took that little stroll, but alas, there were no Trollope novels to be found! I did see "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina", by Tolstoy, as well as "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", by Twain, but no Trollope..... Of course, there were plenty of more modern authors, as well.

I'm really surprised by this! A major bookstore like B&N should certainly carry the novels of this important Victorian writer, don't you think?

So that means I'll have to order "The Warden" from good ol' Amazon, or perhaps The Book Depository....

Hope you've having a GREAT Saturday!! : )

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Maria- I am suprised that they had no Trolllope in that he is still popularn.Our local Barnes and Noble is huge but I guess that not all are that large.

When I think about it I think that you will really like the main charicter in the Warden.