Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll

Lately I have been reading several books on the subject of quantum physics. I had previously posted commentary on Kenneth W. Ford’s The Quantum World here. Unlike that general work, Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll tries to make the case for a particular interpretation of quantum mechanics known as the many worlds or Everett theory. I found this book to be interesting and worthwhile. The information here is fresh as this was first published in 2019. It is essentially for laypeople and Carroll is a good writer and a good explainer. However, like all the books that I read on this subject, I found some of the science here difficult to understand. 

When approaching this book, it makes sense to start with what many call quantum weirdness. That term refers to the fact that what is observed on the subatomic level, seems to defy what we think of as everyday reason. Basically, subatomic particles often show wavelike characteristics, that is, they seem to be in multiple places at one time, just like a water wave in the ocean. Despite this, at other times these subatomic phenomena do not act like waves but act and appear as particles that can be pinned down as existing at a particular place. When scientists do pin down these particles as being in a particular place, the wave “collapses” and stops existing in multiple places at the same time.  There are many other strange aspects to quantum mechanics. Sometimes a pair of subatomic particles are tied in an odd way. For instance, changing the direction of spin of one particle changes the spin of the particle that it is paired with even if the particles are at great distance from one another. Another odd phenomenon is known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. This means that two properties of a particle can never both be known.  If one of the properties becomes know through observation the other property then becomes impossible to determine. For instance, if a position of a particle is found, its velocity becomes undefined, if its velocity is measured then the opposite happens, its position becomes undefined and undetectable. Carroll does a good job at explaining this mind - bending stuff. It is important to understand that even though some observations seem bizarre, there is a mathematical basis to quantum mechanics and these strange observations are supported by the math.

As per Carroll, many physicists just accept what is going on without digging too deeply. Instead, they just use these quantum rules as something of cookbook as to how the universe works. However, some physicists try to dig deeper and try to figure out if there is a more logical explanation or more concrete meaning behind this strange stuff. Carroll writes,

We have a recipe that we can safely apply in certain prescribed situations, and which returns mind-bogglingly precise predictions that have been triumphantly vindicated by the data. But if you want to dig deeper and ask what is really going on, we simply don’t know. Physicists tend to treat quantum mechanics like a mindless robot they rely on to perform certain tasks, not as a beloved friend they care about on a personal level.

I think that the above quotation illustrates that Carroll is a very eloquent science writer. 

The Many Worlds approach is not the theory that the majority of scientists believe. Currently a majority of experts in the field favor something called the Copenhagen Interpretation. My understanding of the Copenhagen Interpretation is that subatomic particles do not have defined properties. The oddness that is observed in then subatomic world is just a reflection of reality. Things work differently in the subatomic world. 


Another, somewhat less popular interpretation of known as hidden variables. There are various subsets to this theory but it basically says that there are all sorts of hidden phenomena going on that connects particles and waves under the surface. These unseen phenomena would provide a logical explanation as to why all these odd things are happening if we could only observe them. 

The many worlds interpretation is different. At times, when a subatomic particle acts in a wavelike manor it shows signs of being in many places at once. But when scientists try to pin it down the particle it sometimes appears in a particular place. It then stops being a wave or it stops being in multiple places at one time. Many worlds advocates argue that at the moment that the location of the particle becomes defined, the universe divides in to multiple universes, each universe containing the particle in a different place. Theorists believe that an astronomically high number of universes have been created this way. 

To a person unfamiliar with all this, many worlds may seem far - fetched. Indeed, based upon this book and my other readings on the subject, most physicists do not concur with this interpretation. However, some very prominent scientists think that it is the most likely explanation of all this. It is also not a theory attributed to cranks. Even the majority of scientists who disagree with it seem to take it seriously. Furthermore, it seems supported by the math, is considered elegant and relatively simple comparted to other interpretations, which, when one digs into them, seem to twist logic. Many scientists find the other interpretations incomplete.

Many world theory has been around for a long time. It has become a popular subject for science fiction writers. Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series and Robert Heinlein's Number of the Beast are just a couple of examples are books that have been influenced by these ideas. The various Star Trek series are filled with stories based on this theory. Carrol's work is very science orientated and does not explore these cultural aspects however.

My take is that Many Worlds is probably not what is really going on. As Carl Sagan once commented “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". The extraordinary evidence has not yet been produced by the many worlds advocates. However, based upon everything that I have learned from my readings, I believe that this is all possible. As a good scientist will do, Carroll acknowledges that this interpretation has not been proven and may not be the true.

Though this book focused upon one particular theory, it helped me to understand the subject in general. Ford is a good writer and explains things well. He goes beyond the theory that he is advocating and explains the basics of quantum physics here too. Furthermore, he does a good job of laying out multiple competing interpretations, he explains both their strengths and weaknesses. Despite all that, quantum physics can be a very difficult subject. Like other books on this subject, there were parts of this that I did not understand.


This is the third book on the subject of quantum physics that I have recently read. Since this book deviates from an introductory work, I would not recommend that someone not familiar with the subject start here. In Search of Schrödinger’s Cat by John Gribbin may be the best introductory book that I have read. I think that someone who is already familiar with a little bit of this subject will find this an educational and a worthwhile read. Quantum physics is a subject that digs into the nature of reality itself. It is worth trying to understand. This book helps one to understand while exploring  some intriguing possibilities. 

33 comments:

mudpuddle said...

great post, well researched and elegantly presented... my dad was a physicist and it's only been in recent years that i've begun to understand his love of water... it's much like the quantum world: if you dip a cup of water out of the ocean, it satisfies many of the criteria observed in the sub atomic universe as regards particle behavior... i'm not a scientist, except for geology, but i find this subject particularly fascinating... tx for doing the work and interpreting the text!

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks Muddpuddle. The water analogy is a good one. I think that is helpful when understanding physical. As I understand it, protons, elections and other subatomic things, act a lot like water waves.

Judy Krueger said...

I second mudpuddle. You explained elegantly! I also like how you rank the books you have read on the subject so far as to what is best for beginners. I have read so much fiction that includes quantum theory ideas that I am starting to get a handle on the concepts, but it is time for me to read some actual science because I AM a beginner when it comes to the science. For me, and I wonder what you think about this, I stumble when any writer talks about the math behind it. Because I did not go past algebra and geometry in school I can't even imagine what math these writers are referring to; calculus and beyond I suppose. How much math did you take in school?

Dorothy Borders said...

Quantum physics is a fascinating field of study. I never studied physics in school, so I have to stick to pretty basic stuff when it comes to reading about the subject, else I quickly find myself in over my head. I'm not familiar with this writer, but the example of his writing that you gave sounds quite eloquent and easy to follow, just what one hopes for when reading a science writer who is writing for the general public.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Too deep for me, LOL!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Judy - I took one semester of calculus. Almost all of the math here went over my head. I just agree appreciated that it was there and backed up some observations.

Quantum physics has been such gist for science fiction.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Dorothy- I really got very little silence from school. I find that that almost nothing prepared me from school for this sort of stuff. It really is just trying to plow through the concepts.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Debra - Deep indeed!

baili said...

Dear Brain it's hard to not say here that you are one of the most amazing book review writer
Thank you so much for this one specially as it seems like FOOD FOR MY SOUL :)
i am not learned person at all but this cannot makes me stop say what i think

i disagree that everything which cannot be prove may not be true ,i think this is childish thought and restrains the possibilities and thought processing

i believe that people with deep imagination are sent in this world so they can foresee things and facts and can point out in the form of their expression whether it is painting ,drama ,movie or book

if we see carefully all possibilities brought to reality by science first landed in imaginative minds and were displayed through theirs way of arts and skills
like you either i believe that in such huge universe it is unwise to think that life exists on one planet only ,we cannot prove it but may after us scientists will prove it later
i am so glad you chose that topic to share my friend may God bless you !
stay well and healthy !

James said...

Thanks for a valuable review of what sounds like an interesting book. I have read Einstein and Heisenberg and in a class discussion we reached a point where the only one who could explain the underlying quantum physics was a mathematician. As you point out the mathematics supported the theory but we could not put it into words.

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks James. It really is so hard to grasp this stuff. It has been said that even the scientific experts do not intuitively get it. But the math backs uo the observations. One interesting thing about many worlds, when it is laid out, it actually makes intuitive sense,

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks so much Baili. When it comes to this subject, I think that only the scientists are really learned. I agree, we generally should not say we believe things without strong evidence.

I agree that there is most likely life on other worlds. But we cannot be sure until proven. I think that it will be proven some day.


Stay safe and healthy!

Sue Bursztynski said...

From your quote, he does sound like someone who writes for laypeople - I like the chatty style! But I tend to skip the physics articles in even New Scientist, also written for people like me, as I get lost. I think I may have a John Gribbins book somewhere in my overflowing shelves, though. It would have been about astronomy, something I regret missing out on because I can’t handle physics.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sue - This stuff is not always easy. When it comes to difficult to understand parts, I usually just try to get the gist of what is going on and just keep plow through.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Brian, books like this are not easy to review but you explained it so well and it was interesting to learn from your review that at the top level of physics scientists are in disagreement about things like the Many Worlds theory. I had this mistaken idea that once you got to the top levels of physics scientists might not have all the answers but they were all in agreement on what they did know but no its a much more fluid field with different theories out there that are being debated.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Wow! This sort of thing makes my mind dizzy. It's so beyond me. Like you I enjoy reading science books if it's written so a layperson can understand them. Thanks for the great review.

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks Sharon- This stuff is dizzying!

Brian Joseph said...


Thanks Kathy - There are so many things that scientists are in agreement on. Here, they seem to agree on the nuts and bolts as to how the particles will behave. But there is a lot of disagreement when scientists talk about why all this stuff works like it does.

Susan Kane said...

"They just use these quantum rules as something of a cookbook as to how the universe works" I think that just about sums it up.

My husband has a tee that says "I am uncertain about quantum mechanics". Just a joke for a physicist, who has peculiar sense of humor.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Susan - That is actually a funny joke for anyone who understands the basics of quantum physics.

Carol said...

I’m impressed you could write a review on a book like this. It’s definitely way beyond me! Hope you are all keeping well over there.

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks Carol - I am far from an expert. I do a lot of muddling through what I do not understand.

Though I had the flu me nd my family are doing OK so far.

Say healthy.


thecuecard said...

Hi Brian: I admit I was pretty terrible in physics in college though did well in Calculus, so go figure. I like your water waves analogy for the subatomic particles. What is your profession? Does it pertain to any of this science or math? I'm glad you put the effort into figuring out some aspects of quantum physics.

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks Susan - I am actually in Property and Casually insurance. I train and teach it and I create courses and training material. Over the years I have done this and other jobs in this industry. I hold a CPCU which is a professional designation in insurance. Not very scientific!

Suko said...

Brian Joseph, I have been away/away from blogging, so I'm late to read and comment on your post. This review, which mentions weirdness and uncertainty,and "a recipe", is truly fascinating. Your commentary is clear and concise--but I wish I understood quantum physics better. (I took a year of regular physics in high school.) I know you recommend an intro books to this subject, but maybe there's a Quantum Physics for Dummies book? I will have to check online. Thanks, again, for a spectacular review!

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks Suko - There is never a rush to comment. I must admit that I find Classical Physics a little dull.

Chad Orzel wrote a boon called How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog which I heard was very good.

the bookworm said...

I am glad you enjoyed this one Brian, fantastic post as usual. I like the Carl Sagan quote you mentioned.
Stay well.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Naida - That Sagan quote has become something of a classic. I think it is important.

Whispering Gums said...

I think some of this has left me for dead Brian, but I do love "Physicists tend to treat quantum mechanics like a mindless robot they rely on to perform certain tasks, not as a beloved friend they care about on a personal level." That really made me laugh.

As for Many Worlds? I'll leave that to the science fiction people!

Sorry, I'm not being serious, but I did enjoy reading your review, and hope some of it rubs off.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi WG. You made me laugh. This is difficult stuff. Many worlds also seems far fetched, though some serious people advocate for it.

That was a really good quote.

James said...

Sounds like another great book from a "very eloquent" science writer.

Judy Krueger said...

Another great review, Brian. I ordered a copy of Quantum Physics for Dummies. I have not cracked it open yet but will do so soon. I recently read Anathem by Neal Stephenson in which he has a bunch of scholars discussing all these theories in the year 3000! It was great and I recommend it to you.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Judy - Quantum Physics can be daunting so I think that these introductory texts that are accessible are very useful.

Anathem sounds good. I had heard of it. I may very well give it a read.