Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

RIP Event



Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting the eighth annual RIP or Readers Imbibing Peril read along event. This will be the first year that I am participating. 

One can join in on any one of several levels.This is a fall event that officially runs from September 1st through October 31st and readers can join in, read and comment upon literature or watch and comment upon films relating to:

Mystery

Suspense

Thriller
Dark Fantasy
Gothic Horror
Supernatural
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.
As I am not sure how many works that I will get to I do not want to commit to a level of participation. I will certainly read and comment upon at least one work. Hopefully I will have time for more.
This looks to be a very fun event. It seems that participants had a great time in previous years. I am not just looking forward to reading and posting myself, but I am also looking forward to reading commentary from the many other participants. I have a feeling that I may be discovering some great new blogs too.
Thanks to Carl for hosting this fascinating read along.
I recommend that anyone not familiar with Carl’s site go over and take a look. His blog also is a great place with an emphasis on science fiction and fantasy. As readers of this blog know, those genres are also very close to my heart.

22 comments:

The Bookworm said...

I'm happy to see you taking part Brian! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on your book selection.
Happy reading :)

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Naida - I am glad that you are also joining in. I also look forward to reading your posts. Happy reading!

Suko said...

This is a fun reading challenge, Brian! I'm not sure I will read anything in the required genres, but I can read the posts of others, at the very least. Carl's blog is delightfully dramatic. I discovered it on Kate's Book Blog when I first started blogging.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Suko - The thing about these events is to get the book as well as the writing of the post in on time. That is why I do not often enter these events. However, since I have something already started that I can use I feel"secure" in joining in.

Guy Savage said...

Ah, so you swallowed the hook? I've been thinking about it too but I'm not sure if I'll have the time.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Guy - Hook, line and sinker!

I have been thinking that one needs to at least one thing that fits the season.

James said...

Thanks for posting about this event. I've decided to join the group and already have a book left over from my Summer Top Ten list that fits the bill.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi james - It really is a great concept. Even better when you have a book already started or read.

Kailana said...

I hope you read lots of great books!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Kailana - Thanks for stopping by.

I fear I will not read as many as I want to really do justice to this event. There is never enough time!

Caroline said...

How wonderful that you will join.
I'm looking forward to your reviews.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good luck in what sounds like a good challenge. I look forward to following your progress.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Caroline - I am too looking forward to your posts. I suspect that you will put up more then I will.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Petty - As I am reading challenge challenged I am not really looking at this so much as a challenge as a reading event.

I will certainly participate with at least one post.

Harvee said...

Hope you have fun with this challenge. A great reason to read and review books in this genre!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Harvest - Thanks! I have been thinking that one should at last read one book for the season.

Ryan said...

Sounds like fun. I might join.

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Ryan - It would be great if you joined us. There is still plenty of time.

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I've done quite a few challenges from Carl's blog--they're always enormous fun! The best part is all the engagement with everyone else participating. You'll probably find lots of new books and blogs to enjoy!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Cheryl - Thanks for stopping by!

Indeed this event has the potential to introduce me to many new blogs and books. In terms of the books there is a down side to that. My already enormous TBR does not really need to get bigger!

JaneGS said...

I did this two years ago and really enjoyed it. Now I have to look through my TBRs and see what fits, and what inspires me from other people's selections.

Let the haunting begin!

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Jane - I would say that there really is lot of variety in the categories that would allow a great many works to fit.


Personally however I want to post about books that really fit into the spirit of Halloween.